Safety Tips

Electrical Safety

Keeping Current On Electrical Safety
A public service message from The Suffolk County Electrical Contractor’s Association. It is the law – if you hire anyone to do electrical work, they must be licensed. Protect yourself and your family.

Use Electricity Wisely

and safely to avoid dangerous shocks, fires, or explosions. Every year in the U.S., more than a thousand people are killed and thousands more injured in electrical fire or shock accidents.

When a Circuit Breaker

or fuse blows, do not reset or replace the breaker without first finding out the cause of the problem and taking care of it. Never replace a circuit breaker (or fuse) with a larger size. If the problem can not be easily found, call a licensed electrician.

Before Purchasing Electrical Appliances

or other electrical equipment (i.e. extension cords, Christmas lights, lamps, power tools, etc.) be sure it has an approved label from an authorized testing laboratory (for example U.L.)

The Right Outlet

for the right plug, never cut off or bend the grounding pin of a plug, if you have a polarized plug (with one side wider than the other) never file it down or try to make it reversible.

Be Alert

for damaged cords and plugs, keep cords out of the path of traffic and never place under carpets or rugs, dispose of frayed or cracked cords.

Protect Young Children

with plastic inserts for receptacle outlets not in use to keep children from putting anything into outlets.

Water & Electricity = Shock

GFCI’s (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets or circuit breakers prevent shock. Make sure all kitchen counters, bathrooms, unfinished basements, garages and outdoor outlets are GFCI protected.

Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends one smoke alarm on every floor, in every sleeping area and in every bedroom. The Suffolk County Board of Health mandates that all new homes have a carbon monoxide detector located in the hall outside all sleeping areas.

High Voltage

means “KEEP AWAY”. Never touch outdoor power lines or climb trees near power lines. Always be aware of overhead lines when using ladders or any tall objects (especially metal ones). Do not fly kites near power lines.

Pool Safety

Never run an extension cord from your house or garage to the pool for filters, lights, radios, etc. Any electrical wiring that is within 20 feet of a swimming pool should have GFCI protection. All wiring for pools, ponds or hot tubs should be completed by a licensed electrician.

Warning Signs

If you can spot electrical hazards, you can prevent fire or shock. Watch out for the following:

Recurring problems with tripping circuit breakers or blowing fuses.

Feeling a tingle when you touch something electrical.

Cracked or frayed cords.

A burning smell or another odor coming from an appliance or wiring.

When these warning signs occur, don’t wait for an accident. Take action at once:

Unplug the appliance if you can do it safely. If necessary, cut off the power on the circuit. Then call a licensed electrician to repair the problem.